Monday, November 18, 2013

Being Christ-Like Doesn't Mean We Let People Run All Over Us

Today, I was grabbing lunch at a local deli and as I was ordering two other sets of people came in after me. You see, you order your food and then find a table. I ordered soup, which is already made and all they have to do is put it into a bowl. As the lady handed me my soup one of the members of each party had jumped in front of me and took the last two tables. I already had my food and their party was still in line to order. People purposely being rude is one of my pet peeves. It was pretty clear from the body language that this was intentional. It was one of the most blatantly unfair, infuriating actions I’ve witnessed in a long time. My temper flared, but I kept my cool and walked over and said “Excuse me, but I already have my food so can I sit here since I was first anyway? …” and one of the three arrogant men said "You can sit with us, we don't bite...We're not moving." So I sat down at their table. I think I shocked the guy that was reserving it for his group because he got up and joined his group ordering while he left his cell phone on the table. Another gentleman saw how rudely they were treating me and quickly finished his lunch so I could move to his table. 

While I do know that we Christians are supposed to love our enemies and not seek vengeance out of anger, surely there is some line that can be crossed where you’re not just a pushover. Right? 

Would love some thoughts on this. Thanks! 

Blessings,
Dalinda

No comments:

Post a Comment