Tuesday, September 27, 2011

It's Not About Rules

God does not say He is looking for someone with perfect performance, but rather someone with a perfect heart--a heart that desires to please Him, a heart that is grieved over sin and evil, a heart that believes in Him and His willingness and ability to forgive and restore. God knows we cannot manifest perfection. It is acceptable to be needy!

I love having a relationship with the God who created me. I love knowing that I don't have to be perfect or "Pharisee-like" to come to Him. I love knowing that when I invest time and communication into this relationship, it grows. Religion doesn't grow. Religion is like a tight fitting outfit that doesn't stretch. It's uncomfortable and at some point you just want to take it off and throw it away. I'll choose relationship over religion any day!

I believe God would rather have a believer who has a good heart and less than perfect performance than one who has perfect performance but an impure heart. It is possible to be very religious and to keep all the rules but to have a heart that is far from God.

Jesus had much to say to the Pharisees of His day. They had a polished performance, kept the laws, followed all the rules and regulations, and were proud of it. They also had a judgmental attitude toward others, did not walk in love, and showed no mercy. Jesus called them whitewashed tombs full of dead men's bones (Matthew 23:27).

Grace...because of a personal relationship.

Grace and peace,
Dalinda

No comments:

Post a Comment