Tuesday, December 18, 2012

No More Sting

When it comes to the seasons of life, we aren’t always prepared. We are to “expect the unexpected.”

And I for one really don’t like the unexpected. Never have. When I go to the doctor, I expect them to make me feel better. I want to know what horribly rare disease I have that is so completely unheard of that it got left out of the index.

Expectations are like carrying around a rulebook. We go into this journey totally unaware of what to expect. All throughout it, even when we think we know what’s headed our way, we find that we draw a complete blank. This was me today when the Mayo Clinic called me and said that I wouldn't be able to get in until April. So I am drawing a blank as to what is next. Could this be God telling me to go somewhere else? Or wait? I will definitely be praying for those answers.

So much along the journey here has been unexpected. It hasn't been what we've expected, but it has been what He planned. Our unexpected has been His expected for us. Remember that sometimes the answer to our prayer may look different than what we were expecting.

The space between my reality and my expectations will only change if I do. Maybe God has an appointment for me in the midst of this disappointment. He may want me to see, learn, know, or grow some way while I work through this unmet expectation. Disappointment only stings as long as I let it.

God hears our pleas even when He seems silent. The problem is that we cannot hear Him because of physical and mental exhaustion. When we come to the end of our rope, God ties a knot.

Nothing gets slipped past our Father. He leaves no stone unturned, no need unfulfilled. And it’s when we learn this simple truth of our Father’s love that we let God out of our box of expectations. It’s here that we take the limits off His grace and here that He is given free rein to rock our world in ways we can yet to imagine.

When you don’t know what to expect take comfort in these great expectations. If you are waiting on the Lord, whatever it is you are waiting for, it won’t be anything less than everything that you need.

Blessings,
Dalinda

No comments:

Post a Comment