Thursday, August 11, 2011

Christlikeness

We define our good in terms of what brings us health and happiness now; God defines it in terms of what makes us more like Jesus.

God's purpose for our suffering is Christlikeness. That is our highest calling. If God answered all our prayers to be delivered from evil and suffering, then He would be delivering us from Christlikeness. But Christlikeness is something to long for, not to be delivered from.

What I wish is that I could have learned, grown and drawn closer to the Lord, just like I have, but that my Mom and Dad were still here. I wish I could have all the good God has brought me, and will bring me, through adversity, but without all the pain and loss. But it doesn't work that way, does it?

When a sovereign, all-powerful God predestines our conformity to Christ, all evil and suffering that intrude upon our lives form a part of that plan.

Everything that comes into your life---yes, even evil and suffering---is Father-filtered. Whether suffering brings us to Christlikeness depends, to some degree, upon our willingness to submit to God and trust him and draw our strength from Him. Suffering will come whether we allow it to make us Christlike or not---but if we don't, our suffering is wasted.

In Him,
Dalinda

No comments:

Post a Comment