Monday, August 29, 2011

Marriage...God's Way

Date someone you can be in love with, sure! But marry someone you can be in life with. I found one and he's a keeper.

Don't we all enter into marriage on the blind side? If we had our senses about us, most of us wouldn't have married the person we did (not that this is true in my case). In any event there are just things that we wished we would've know before we took the big leap into forever.

I have to say that Jody and I have had some really hard times in our marriage. The first year was a hard one...trying to adjust to living with one another.

It was definitely tough when my parents became ill. Dad had Parkinson's disease when Mom was diagnosed with cancer. Both of our boys were a very young age, Drew was about to turn two and Jake was six. Here I was taking care of my two aging parents and my two boys with no siblings to help. This put a huge strain on our marriage because I was tired most of the time and there was no free time to do the fun stuff most families do together.

However, Jody was a huge help to me. I am so blessed to have him as my best friend and husband! He was and still is so understanding and compassionate. Jody helped me make some really BIG decisions concerning my parents. He stepped up and filled the role that a sibling would have, so to speak.

Jody and I both struggled to get through these trying times, but we never gave up, we worked through it.

I have to say that had we not believed in the institute of marriage and the fact that we were stuck with each other no matter what, we probably wouldn't have made the effort to work it out.

Unfortunately, as a society, we are seeing this a lot lately , even in church. People getting married because they think it will be fun, but when they find out it's not so much fun at times--they just give up and go their separate ways.

This is not what God intended when He created the institute of marriage. It is up to us, as Christians,to show them how to fight for their marriages and their families. If they don't see it in action, they'll follow the example of the world.

Marriage takes work. Sometimes fun work. Sometimes hard work. If you see a good marriage, you can guarantee it didn't just happen. That couple has worked on their marriage. By letting Christ be the center of your marriage, your marriage can move from "Oh...that's nice" to "WOW, THAT'S GREAT!"

Life with my best friend, what could be better!

Blessings,
Dalinda

No comments:

Post a Comment