Friday, May 11, 2012

Little Eyes Are Watching Us (Happy Mother's Day)

This coming Sunday, May 13, is Mother's Day. My mother passed away from cancer 5 1/2 years ago. I miss her everyday. But I can't be sad this Mother's Day because I don't have a Mother...I am rejoicing because I did!

I am so thankful for the mother God chose to bless me with. It is because of my parent's love for one another and their love for God that I am the woman I am today. They taught me so much...not with lessons, but by example. They lived a life in front of me that permeates my being today. They were a kind, loving example of a family committed to God.

I am a mother of two boys ages: 8 and 13. Anytime I wonder if my life matters, whenever I want my life to count for eternity, I have to look no further than the carefully drawn crayoned artwork on my refrigerator. There is my children's handwriting...proof that at least one thing I do makes a difference.

My husband blesses me by supporting, teaching and inspiring me. He is not stingy with his praises but lavishly tells me what a great wife and mother I am. It is a lot easier to serve and sacrifice with such a man by my side. Now don't get me wrong. I am not perfect and neither is my husband, however, our teacher is a GOOD...very good! I know I will never be a Proverbs 31 woman, not this side of Heaven anyway, but I have God and certain people cheering me on and guiding my ways.

Ask God to draw you so close to Him that your children see God in you, even in the hardest of times. They see peace even when it makes no sense. They see joy when there is no reason to be joyful. So when they do come to the end of themselves, they remember a mom who turned to Christ for strength...a mom who prayed...a mom who caught them doing things right and noticed...a mom who stood firm as she trusted her children to grow and become better people...They'll know God is real.

So let's make sure we don't neglect our own spiritual growth in the busyness of tending to our children. After all, God should still come first in our lives. Let's give Him the place He rightly deserves: first place, even before our families. Putting God first doesn't take anything away from our families. In fact, it's quite the opposite, because one of the best things we can give them is a mom who knows and loves God.

Happy Mother's Day! Enjoy your blessings.

For His Glory,
Dalinda

1 comment: