Friday, December 23, 2011

Joseph Almost Missed Christmas

There is a man in the Bible that almost missed Chritmas. His name is Joseph. It wasn't because he was distracted with holiday parties, visiting relatives or completing his shopping list. He just couldn't see how his current circumstances were part of God's plan for his life.

Joseph was engaged to be married to Mary, a young woman chosen by God to be the mother of Jesus.

Mary was away for three months and when she returned she told Joseph that she was pregnant. Joseph suspected that Mary had been unfaithful. He knew what the gossip would be, so he was quietly planning to leave Mary. Mary told Joseph that she had not been unfaithful, that the Holy Spirit came to her. She was going to give birth to God's son.

What first looked like a huge problem, a troubling circumstance, total reputation-wrecker to Joseph, turned out to be the most glorious thing in his life when seen from God's perspective.

Joseph saw what an honor it was to bear this burden. What a thrill to raise and know God's son!

God's ways are not our ways. And sometimes in our greatest difficulties we find our greatest opportunities and blessed responsibilities.

If Joseph had walked away from Mary, he would have missed Christmas. And he would have missed the life-defining lesson that God's plans aren't always logical in human eyes, but they can always be trusted.

Oh, just think how different our lives would be if we didn't let fear make us shy away from God's plan.

My desire is to live in the moment, the real life moment in front of me, and to not waste time worrying about why that moment doesn't always look like the perceived one I had rolling around in my head.

I do not fully understand God. But there is much I know: My God doesn't just do good things, He IS good. My God doesn't just love us, He IS love. He is a just, righteous, merciful, holy, sovereign, omniscient, omnipresent, indescribably awesome God. Through Him, all things hold together and have their being, and nothing, NOTHING, is out of His control.

I'm glad He is too big for me to fathom. A God small enough for me to understand....would not be God at all.

As long as I hold tight in my heart to the fact that His plans are GOOD, then I can fight through the obstacles life throws at me, to see the light of the reward that will greet me in the end.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Blessings,
Dalinda

No comments:

Post a Comment